Saturday, March 14, 2009

Pickpocket (Short story)

It was like just any other day for Manu.

Now… You might be wondering who Manu is? Well, he’s just one among those usual young men that you’d see around. He’s a peon in one of those big private offices in our city. He’s young, energetic, enthusiastic and efficient in his discipline. But just like all of those usual young men, he too is unusual in his own way. He has a peculiar hobby - pick pocketing ! . No. Not because he’s poor. He earns quite a descent amount from his job.

He does it for fun. He finds it a thrilling engagement to get into a really crowded bus and come out with the pick of his day. He’s not bothered about how much money he’d find in it. Sometimes he’d get a 50/- and at times 1000s. Sometimes even less. But that is not his concern. He’s excited at the very act of slipping his hand into the back pocket and drawing the wallet out without arousing any suspicion. What an amusing hobby!

Let’s come back to the story… … It was like just any other day for Manu. He started early from his house and took his stand at the bus stop near his house. He kept skipping all the buses, which didn’t look promising for him. And at last there came one bus, heavily loaded and jam-packed. Manu’s face brightened and jumped in it.

His eyes searched for the person who’d give him his pick of the day. And yes! He spotted him. There was this cool looking lad, strikingly handsome, fair, tall, with bulging shoulders and of course a bulging back pocket too.

Manu squeezed his way through the crowd to his target. He’s always careful not to attract attention to him least he was suspected in case the theft was discovered. But this time it didn’t go his way. The fair guy turned and looked at him when he struggled to get near him. And Manu noticed his gaze fixed up on him in a suspicious manner.

He considered his next move with caution. ‘To do or not to do?’ After a brief hesitant moment Manu decided to proceed further. “Fear is not going to help me. If there’s anything in this whole business of pickpocket, it’s the risk factor involved in it. Be it be anything… I’ll try my luck anyways…” thought Manu.

Manu went and stood near the fair guy in a very casual manner and well, things went Manu’s way. He got down at the next stop and victoriously admired the purse in his hand. He checked the purse. There was a driving license, a colour photo of the fair guy, some paper slips and a few 100’s notes. He checked the time in his watch. ‘ 10 minutes to 10’. His office was at walking distance and so he decided to get to his office by walk.

But what’s this?

“Manu”: He heard someone calling him from behind, as he was about to get into his office. He turned around to find the same fair guy fast approaching him, waving his hands at him in a friendly recognition.

“I’m done for…” thought Manu. “Should I try an escape or should I stay and face it?”

Anyways… Manu didn’t get much time.

“Good Lord, I found you chap!” exclaimed the fair guy as he came near Manu and placed his heavy hand on his shoulder.

“What’s next?” Manu felt completely trapped. There seemed no possible way to escape.

“Don’t you recognize me?”

Of course Manu couldn’t recognize the person in front of him. As for him, he’s the pickpocket and the person in front of him was his victim. What other relation could exist between these two strangers?

“I’m Robin,” said the fair guy. “Don’t you recognize me?” he repeated.

Manu looked at him in bewilderment.

“Your school mate in your village… Robin…”

Yes! That’s right. Now Manu could recollect the once familiar face of his old school mate. But, what now? Manu was unable to say anything in return. He just gave a smile of recognition.

Robin became talkative. “I’m really lucky to have found you. You know what? I got pick pocketed in the bus and now I’m left without a penny. I’m working in the next town and came here for an official purpose. Now, how do I go back? I saw you in the bus but couldn’t really recognize you then. I saw you get down at the last stop and it was then that I discovered that my pocket had been picked. I was wondering what I’d do and suddenly the recognition dawned on me. I got down at this stop and was walking back with the hope of finding you. And… You know what, don’t you…? Please lend me some money to reach back my town. I know it’s not decent to ask money to a friend whom I’m meeting after such a long time. But… Hope you can under stand”

Manu readily extracted a hundred from his pocket and gave it to his old friend. Can I say that Manu didn’t exactly know what he was doing and he did whatever he did as if in a trance? It’s difficult to explain what Manu would have felt or thought right then.

Anyhow… Robin was elated at this ready and ‘thoughtful’ response of his old friend.

“Oh, Manu! Thanks really a lot… Give me your address. I’ll return the money through a money order as soon as I reach home”

“That’s ok,” said Manu.

“But how will I return the money?” asked Robin.

“That’s ok Robin. I can understand your situation. And as for returning the money… Well, you needn’t bother about that. That’s ok. After all ‘a friend in need is a friend indeed’, right? ” said Manu.

“Thank you… Thanks really a lot Manu” said Robin and walked away happily thanking his stars or whatever God saved him!

And Manu … Well, could anyone explain what he would have felt at this whole drama of fate?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

a very unexpected twist of fate....great job!

Also check out

Related Posts with Thumbnails